Certifications, Certificates & College Credit
Jump start your career!
Earn a Poway Adult School Pathway Certificate
- Self-paced. So, you go as fast or as slow as you need.
- Qualified instructors meet with you when you need help.
- Start anytime in our open-entry format to earn your certificate to a new career today.
Entry-level Clerk Certificate (79 hours)
- Intro to Basic Clerical Skills
- MS Word Level 1
- MS Excel Level 1
Clerical Assistant Certificate (196 hours)
- Prerequisite: Entry Level Clerk or Competency Test
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Word 2
- MS Excel 2
Administrative Assistant Certificate (252 hours)
- Prerequisite: Entry Level Clerk Certificate or Competency Test
- MS Word 2 (with Microsoft Office Specialist option)
- MS Outlook
- MS Excel 2 (with Microsoft Office Specialist option)
Accounts Payable / Accounts Receivable Billing Clerk Certificate (164 hours)
- Accounting Level 1 and 2 (with college credit option)
- MS Excel Level 1 & 2 (with Microsoft Office Specialist option)
- QuickBooks (with QuickBooks Certification option)
What's the difference between certifications and certificates?
Certification generally represents an earned credential that demonstrates specialized knowledge, skills, and experience. Certifications are usually awarded upon passing a proctored exam under a strict protocol. Earning a certification is a way to prove competencies defined by the related industry. Certifications are usually backed by companies that are industry leaders such as Microsoft, Comptia, and Intuit to name a few.
Certificates are different from certifications in that certificates are generally awarded upon successful completion of educational courses and / or programs. Students who complete Poway Adult School Pathway Certificate programs are awarded a Pathway Certificate endorsed by the Poway Adult School and validated by the School's business partners who are experts in their fields.
Microsoft Office Specialist Certifications
The ic3 certification (Internet Core Competency Certification) Digital Literacy certification is a global benchmark for basic computer literacy, including operating systems, hardware, software, and networks. Start by taking the Computer Concepts & Applications course and then take the ic3 certification test to prove your computer literacy to employers.
- Comptia N+ Certification (not currently offered)
Proves you have the knowledge and skills to: design, implement and manage networks and manage network devices; identify pros and cons of protocols and troubleshoot network problems. Take the Networking Fundamentals course to prepare for this certification.
Comptia A+ Certification (not currently offered)
Palomar College CreditPoway Adult School partners with Palomar College to offer you the opportunity earn college credits in the courses listed below. Each course is worth three (3) credits upon completion with an "A" or "B." This is at no additional cost to you!
How can college credit help me?
College credit is demonstrated on a transcript that is generally lasting evidence of coursework you've completed. Transcripts are received by most colleges. So, credits you earned may be accepted at the school of your dreams! And, you can keep adding to your credits to use them later towards a college degree or certificate.Students who complete all required coursework at a grade of “B” or better in any of these PAS courses:
- Computer Concepts & Applications (Palomar CSIT 105)
- Accounting 1, 2 (Palomar ACCT 101)
- Let your Poway Adult School instructor know you will be taking the course for college credit. He or she will direct you in the process and ensure you receive a letter grade upon completion.
- Complete all of the course requirements with an "A" or "B" grade.
- To get college credit, you will have to be a Palomar College student. You won't be charged to get this credit. Follow both of the next steps in order and make sure to save your login information for both systems in which you will need to create accounts.
- Enroll in Palomar College (instructions here) and follow the step by step instructions on how to apply.
- Contact your instructor or the Career Education Specialist for help with the process if needed!
Complete your business education at Palomar College:
ACCT 101 Bookkeeping 3 (take this at Poway Adult School)
Bookkeeping / Accounting Clerk Certificate
ACCT 104 Accounting Spreadsheet Concepts 2
ACCT 110 Quickbooks 2
ACCT 115 Sales Tax, Payroll Taxes, and Employee Benefits 2
TOTAL UNITS 9 - 10
Call the Poway Adult School at (858) 668-4024 to schedule a typing test appointment.
Test with one certificate copy is $20 ($5 for additional copies of your certificate)