Nurse Assistant Training Program (NATP)
This course is taught in a combination: it will be on Zoom and in-person. Computers with Internet, audio, and video are required. Use of a phone to participate in the course is not allowed. Instruction covers basic nursing skills, medical terminology, basic anatomy and physiology. The course is taught by a licensed nurse. Class meets 12 hours per week generally. Students spend at least 60 hours learning theory and 100 hours learning clinical skills at a skilled nursing facility. Additional hours are for lab, test preparation, CPR, and a "Meet the Employer" event. One weekend is offered for make-up hours. Students must plan accordingly and attend all class hours as the course has strict attendance requirements.
Register at Poway Adult School for the FREE C NA Information Session and learn more about it!
Students who enroll or plan to enroll in the course must register and attend one Free Information Session (Zoom) as their course Orientation. Choose: August 4, 17, or 31, 4:00-5:30pm
Fall Dates: Sept 7, 2023 - January 12, 2024
Class meets Fridays on Zoom and Saturdays at clinical
Please note there are two mandatory Thursdays: Sept. 7 and Sept. 14
(Thursday, Sept. 7 is fingerprinting, paperwork and CPR) (Click here for Fall 2023 Calendar)
Fall 2023 Class meets:
Fridays on Zoom 4:00-8:00 pm (there will be two Fridays in person for required activities)
Two Mandatory Thursdays at 4:00-8:00 pm (1 Zoom, 1 in-person)
Saturdays 7:30 am-4:00 pm (in-person for clinical skills and other activities)
Students registering in this program must have proof of Covid vaccination and be prepared (if required) to participate in Covid testing.
Students who do not complete the course within the term may return the next semester to complete hours and missed modules. However, they may be required to pay the registration fee.
Attendance & Grading
Students must complete all Modules at 75% or better, 100 clinical hours and 60 theory hours. Students who complete all hours and pass the course with a 75% or better (as measured on Module Exams and skills assessments) will be qualified to take the State Certification Exam for nurse assistants.
The theory portion of this program is offered on Zoom. These are class meetings where your teacher is present in real time and students must be visible on the computer screen at all times and not otherwise doing anything else while in their Zoom class. This includes being on the job or caregiving. Students must have access to a computer with audio and video capabilities and good access to the Internet. Contact us if you need assistance with the technical requirements.
Course Costs: $995. *This includes your registration fee, textbook, workbook, and fingerprinting. Additional fees throughout the course are estimated at $200 - $300 (see step 10 below for details).
Steps to starting the NATP
See the current course catalog for dates and times. We meet on this Zoom link https://bit.ly/newNA or if you miss the event, make an appointment
1. Read all of the information about the course requirements on this web page and the Poway Adult School 2024 - 2024 Student Handbook
2. Get Registered - If you're new to Poway Adult School, click on "Register" and create a student profile or call the Poway Adult School office at (858) 668-4024 for help. Once you have a profile, you can register.
There are two options to pay:
Full payment: Online, you can simply open or create your student account and add the course to your cart. Go to "Course" and click "Catalog" to find Nurse Assistant and select the highlighted course number. Then, add it to your cart and pay in-full. If you are having trouble, call the Adult School for help at (858) 668-4024.
Payment plan: First, register with a deposit by calling the Adult School office at (858) 668-4024. Then, you will need to agree to a payment plan by completing this Google Doc. The suggested plan is to make a deposit of $195 upon registering. Then, make four monthly payments (one in each month of the course semester) of $200 for a total of $995. Students may create a personalized payment plan. Email Denise McAndrews at [email protected] to set up your payment plan. The full cost of the course must be paid prior to the last day of class. Students will be required to sign a payment plan agreement.
Need Based Scholarships may be available. Please email a letter stating why you want to be a C NA and why you need a scholarship. Please list any State or Federal support programs you are on.
3. Make an appointment with your doctor to complete your medical requirements
Make sure your medical form is signed and initialed by your doctor.
You will need the following:
Covid vaccine (1st does must be by the first date of the class).
Proof of negative TB test within 3 months prior to the class
Physical exam (use this Medical form) - Form must be dated within 3 months prior to the class.
For example, if your class starts in September, your physical must be done in June, July or August.
Bring the signed form with you to the first day of on-campus class. Do not email forms.
4. Purchase one or two sets of Ceil Blue scrubs.
You will need a top and bottom with pockets. These can be purchased from various vendors. This example shows the "CEIL BLUE" color and is not intended to promote this company's business (Ceil Blue example here). Ensure you have clean, skid-resistant, closed-toed shoes, any color (tennis / athletic shoes are acceptable)
- You must bring both your social security cards to class on fingerprint day, usually Day 1 of class
- Ensure your name is the same on both cards and the 283b form
- Please watch for emails from the School at the email address you used when you registered.
- You will receive an email from "NO REPLY" before the first day of class. First time attendees of the Poway Adult School: Follow the instructions to create a School email account. This will give you a "Single Sign-on" to access your Canvas course.
- Look for an email telling you when to go to the Adult School office to get your photo taken and receive your name badge
- All class dates are important and you need to ensure active attendance. However, the first several days of class are critical to your ability to attend clinical days.
- Students who miss any hours of theory during these dates may not be able to attend clinic as scheduled.
- Please note the class schedule when registering and ensure your prompt and regular attendance to the correct location for the class session.
8. Classes are held in three places: On-campus, at the Skilled Nursing Facility, and on Zoom.
-Classroom Address: Del Norte High School 16601 Nighthawk Ln,
San Diego, CA 92127 - Room P-116 - Del Norte High School map to classroom parking area on campus
School Location Map Link to school site from Escondido Westfield Mall area
Nursing Facility Name and Address: Will be provided
-Online Live Zoom Meetings: You will receive a link for online classes. Watch the video tutorial on how to download Zoom first if needed.
- 9. Participate in Free Career Resources Designed for You!
Each semester, students attend an event to engage with employers. The event is held during class. This is where students learn about current career opportunities.
-Career Support - We're here to help you!
Students needing career support can access free workshops on campus and on Zoom as well as 1-1 assistance. Email the Career Education Specialist to request career support.
10. Deadlines and Other Cost Details
- Medical exam and TB Test (before starting the course)
- CPR class and card (approximately $60 in class within the first two weeks of the course)
- "Ceil Blue" Scrubs (you will need these no later than the first clinic day)
- Shoes (needed by the first clinic day. You can use clean, closed toed, athletic / tennis shoes)
- Equipment you may choose to own such as BP cuff, stethoscope, etc. (optional)
- Certification exam $120 (this requires a cashiers check approximately 30 days before the end of class)
Drops and Refunds:
If you need to drop the course after the start date, you may be responsible for the costs of fingerprinting and textbooks. Additional drop fees may apply based on when a drop occurs.
- Students who drop the course prior to the first class date shall receive a full refund.
- Students who drop the course within 8 scheduled class sessions shall receive a 75% refund.
- Students who choose to drop the course after 8 scheduled class sessions shall forfeit all fees.
The course requires students to complete a background check. If you have questions or concerns about the check, please read the following information on Criminal Record Review.
Criminal Record Review
If you have concerns about passing a background check, please complete a Criminal Record Review before taking this course. For information on Criminal Record Review, please visit the Criminal Record Review page. For information regarding Criminal Background Clearance, please contact the Criminal Background Section. Phone Fax: (916) 449-5775 or (916) 552-8854
Criminal Background Section: P.O. Box 997416, MS 3304, Sacramento, CA 95899
Poway Adult School 2023-2024 Student Handbook
California Department of Public Health all you need to know about nurse assistant certification
More CDPH Important Resources here
Download a NATP Candidate Handbook and more here
Regional Testing Center Information
Association for Certified Nurse Assistants
Job Market Info and more
Help for English second language learners of Nurse Assisting
Testing location: Determined each term
Financial Assistance: Please read the Section 2 for payment plans
Need Based Scholarships may be available. Please email a letter to [email protected] stating why you want to be a C NA and fully explain what your situation is that suggests you need a scholarship. Please list any and all Local, State, or Federal support programs you (or your children who live with you such as Free or Reduced Lunch, low income housing etc.) receive.
Your Goals, Our Data
This course is provided by State funds and your fees. In order for the School to comply with State requirements, we need to collect information from students about their goals, job outcomes and starting salaries when hired after our programs. Please help us by answering the data questions when asked during and after your class.