Students » School Year Work Permits

School Year Work Permits

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement (see below).

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.

Summer Work Permits click here

All students under the age of 18 who have not received their diplomas must obtain a work permit prior to starting employment.

All students who attend one of the six high schools in the district or New Directions must obtain their work permit at their school site. ALL other individuals who reside within the Poway Unified School District boundaries must obtain their Work Permit at:

Poway Adult School

Twin Peaks Center
13626 Twin Peaks Rd.
Poway CA 92064

To obtain your Work Permit:

  1. Download a “Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor” form by clicking here or pick up the form at the High School you attend or Poway Adult School.

  2. Employer completes and signs Section 1 (“Statement of Employer”).

  3. Complete Section 2 (“Statement of Parent or Guardian Regarding Minor”) and obtain a signature from your parent/guardian.

  4. Bring your completed Request form to your designated school site.Your work permit will be processed for you there. A 24 hour turn around may apply for the processing of work permits.

Please note: Students must be present when the work permit is issued as an original signature is required. Incomplete forms will delay processing your Work Permit. Parents may not sign for students.

Student must show two forms of identification:

  1. Proof of age (birth certificate, medical records, driver’s license, or ID card listing date of birth)

  2. Proof of school attendance (report card or school ID)

  3. Picture Identification (school ID card, driver's license, CA ID card, military ID card)

If you have any questions, please e-mail or call (858) 668-4024
For Entertainment Work Permits, please call (619) 220-5451


Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?

A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?

A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q: When do work permits expire?

A: Summer 2023 work permits expire 08/23/2023. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins (August 16, 2023).

Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?

A: Only if your current work permit has expired or you change employers.

Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?

A: No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued AND bring picture ID and proof of age.

Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?

A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?

A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?

A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the Summer, Poway Adult School issues work permits.

Q: Is there a map to Poway Adult School?

A: Yes, please click on the District Map below


The following restrictions and spread of hours are for regular, school year permits. Any work permits issued for summer employment are considered vacation permits.

16 and 17 year olds:

4 hours per day Monday-Thursday, 8 hours per day Friday through Sunday, with a maximum of 48 hours per week. Spread of hours - 5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

14 and 15 year olds:

3 hours per day Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day Saturday and Sunday, with a maximum of 18 hours per week. Spread of hours - 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

12 and 13 year olds:

May be employed only during school holidays and vacations. Employment is restricted to certain household occupations, messengers, delivery, and agriculture.